RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) is the nation’s largest anti-sexual violence organization. You can donate to RAINN here.
Although reports of sexual violence have fallen by half over the last 20 years, every 73 seconds, an American is sexually assaulted. And every 9 minutes, that victim is a child. Meanwhile, only 5 out of every 1,000 perpetrators will end up in prison. 1 out of 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime. Every year in America:
- General Public: 400,000 are sexually assaulted
- Children: 60,000 are victims of sexual abuse
- Inmates: Over 80,000 are sexually assaulted or raped
- Military: 18,900 experienced unwanted sexual contact
What was the survivor doing when the crime occured?
- 48% were sleeping, or performing another activity at home
- 29% were traveling to and from work/school or shopping/running errands
- 12% were working
- 7% were attending school
Recovering from sexual assault or abuse is a process, and that process looks different for everyone. It may take weeks, months, or years: there’s no timetable for healing. Click this link for some resources to help you navigate the process.